Mouthwash can be a polarizing topic in the dental community as to what exactly its benefits can be. Some mouthwashes are much more effective than others, but none can replace the need for brushing and flossing. So the important question is what exactly mouthwash can do for you, and which products are effective at accomplishing those goals. Here some tips to help you determine if mouthwash could be beneficial to your oral health care plan:
– Mouthwash can fight halitosis (harmful bacteria that causes bad breath) and can freshen your breath.
– Mouthwash helps prevent and fight the effects of tooth decay.
– Mouthwash can prevent tartar from forming. Tartar occurs when plaque hardens around the teeth. Tartar buildup can lead to gum disease and tooth decay.
– Be careful not only to look for cosmetic mouthwashes but therapeutic ones as well. The best mouthwashes are ones that not only can freshen your breath, but also fight bacteria, tooth decay, and gum disease. Always look for products that have the American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance.
– Mouthwash can reduce plaque buildup.
– Depending on the ingredients, some mouthwashes can even brighten teeth.
An oft-forgotten oral hygiene tool at your disposal, mouthwash can reach places that brushing and flossing alone may miss. For more helpful hygienic habits, please schedule an oral exam and professional cleaning with Oak Dental Associates. For more detailed services, you can schedule an appointment with Drs. Chris Pallotto. We can be reached via phone at 708-422-1900, or by stopping by at our location in Oak Lawn, Illinois. Cavities can be conquered, so feel free to come see us today.